20 Comments

1. Grace

You did a really lovely job! Kudos for the exception sewing! Kudos to Carlos for the great suggestions. This pattern is in my wishlist.

2. Ramona Putnam

You should be proud of this dress. It is just so lovely! Did Carlos suggest cutting the side pieces on the bias to give the bodice some ‘give’?? Interesting idea. I want to keep that in mind for the future. You have done a wonderful job with this sew along. I have really enjoyed the tips and suggestions.

• Meg Carter

Hi Ramona! Carlos didn’t have any structural reason for suggesting I cut the side bodice pieces on this bias. The little flowers run in horizontal rows, and he thought it would be interesting to have the rows run on the bias. He’s a designer and he thinks in ways like that!

3. Tina

The dress is lovely and I know your niece will get many compliments. You did a fantastic job! I, too, am interested as to why Carlos suggested cutting the bodice side fronts on the bodice, and does he suggest doing this with all side fronts? I am coming to NYC and will be touring McCall’s on the 20th. Can’t wait to meet everyone and to see headquarters!

• Meg Carter

Hi Tina, see my reply to Ramona. Are you coming here as part of a tour group?

• Tina

Nope, just me and my husband. My mother, Faye Wine, designed for McCall’s for about 20 years and I thought it would be nice to see the place which had such a huge impact and influence on her life. She talked very fondly of many of the staff there, Nancy Dicocco and Lori Acardi and others which I can’t remember the names of anymore. My whole family was involved in the process of her designing from hearing her talk of her latest design to helping with the prototypes. I am very excited to see the “mother ship” which Mom spoke about often. Hopefully, I will be able to meet you, and even Carlos???? Of course, I am excited to meet any and all who might be there that day.

• Meg Carter

Great! I’m assuming you’ve told someone here that you’re coming. We have to notify our building security of any guests.

• Tina

Yep, I did! It’s all scheduled.

4. Pati Palmer

Meg,
    Very couture! Congratulations. I am glad to see shirt dresses making a fashion statement!

5. Sue

OH! This is so pretty! The piping really does elevate the chic factor so much! I just need to finish my hem and sew on my buttons…then I’ll be done too!

6. Marsha

Uh….Wow, Damn!!! These high end stores would charge $500+ for that dress (and I am really being conservative without taking into account the finish on the inside. That alone is worth a lot of money). I could definitely see it going down a runway. Yes…it’s that good!! What an inspiration for such a simple dress!! Beautiful!!

7. AJW

This dress is stunning and the bias cut side front and back are a lovely detail that probably contribute to a better fit. In comparing the Butterick and McCall’s shirtdress patterns, I see that one is for women in the upper sizes, but the other is not. I am curious about what this difference means, in terms of sizing. Can you explain the difference?

Thanks for sharing such a lovely sewing project.

• Meg Carter

Hi and thank you! To answer your question about sizing, both patterns go up to size 24. I see the Butterick pattern says 24W, but it’s the same as McCall’s 24. Does that answer your question?

8. Tomasa

Meg, you hit the ball out of the park with this dress! It is stunning. I love everything about it. And that piping adds that pop that makes it stand out. Bravo!

9. Sheseams

You did your thing, Fashion magaize ready!

10. janie davis

Hi beautiful dress. Is the piping made by you. If so what did you use?

• Meg Carter

Hi Janie abd thanks! Yes, I did make my own piping. I will write about this in a future post. Stay tuned!

11. Patricia

This looks absolutely beautiful. Very well done.

12. Norma Wittgens

I just today purchased everything needed for the dress. I’m making it for my daughter. I’ve never put piping on a dress before. If you have any tips on how to do it, please share. Can’t wait to get it started, & she is excited about it too.

13. Jaime

Is this available as a pdf pattern?