We’re excited that so many of you are interested in participating in our Shirtdress Sew-Along. Yay! Here’s a tentative sew-along blog schedule:
- Week 1 (wk of 5/9/16): Choosing fabric and interfacing
- Week 2: Making a test garment and getting the fit right
- Week 3: pressing and edge stitching/topstitiching
- Week 4: collar and collar stand
- Week 5: buttons and buttonholes
- Week 6: hems and finishing
I set up a Facebook group called McCall Pattern Company Shirtdress Sew-Along. It is a private group, so you have to request an invite. (But this way you can feel free to post in our group without your friends having to see your posts about making a shirtdress.) This is the place where you can:
- share status updates about your progress
- post photos of your sewing
- ask questions
- seek help
- provide guidance to others
- share links and tips
Please join this Facebook group! Participate as much as you like or just feel free to lurk.
What to expect from this sew-along: Several of you have indicated this is your first digital sew-along and that you aren’t quite sure what to expect. Since we aren’t asking you all to sew the same shirtdress pattern, our sew-along will be on the more general side, covering broad points as listed in the schedule above. Other things to know about this sew-along:
- It’s best if you already have basic sewing skills and have made a few garments that you’re happy with. You’ve already made a garment with set-in sleeves, for example.
- You can feel comfortable going at your own pace. Some of you will be finished next week, some of you will finish next year. That’s ok. We’ll leave this content up indefinitely, so you can always refer back to it.
- Most of the sew-along content will reside here on this blog, so check back each week.
- A few of you have asked if we will be doing videos as part of the sew-along. Short answer: Possibly, if you don’t mind iPhone videos. You can feel free to post videos to the Facebook group.
Social media for this sew-along: We’d love to see you post your progress or makes. Use the hashtag #shirtdresssewalong. If you have a blog, here’s a badge for your sidebar:
Have you chosen your shirtdress pattern yet? I’m thinking I might try to crank out two shirtdresses: One for my niece from Butterick B6333, and one for me from McCall’s M6885. Reminder that our Shirtdress Pinterest board has loads of pattern suggestions and fashion inspirations. Leave a comment indicating which pattern you think you’re going to use. Thanks! Back next week to talk about fabric and interfacing!